Pages

Five stars applied carefully


I've been reviewing books for a while now and giving scores out of five for each one on an ad-hoc basis depending on how I felt about the book. As I now seem to be reviewing a lot more books I decided that I needed to put a defined assessment structure in place.

Therefore, until such time as I decide something better suits, I will use the following criteria:-

1 star

= Terrible - couldn't finish the book. Do not recommend to anyone (on Amazon = I hate it)

2 stars 

= Poor - the story-line may have been good, but there were factors that spoilt the enjoyment of reading the book. Factors could be: the style of writing; the quality of the writing or things such as gratuitous sex or violence. Book only recommended to readers who can tolerate these. (on Amazon = I don't like it)

3 stars 

= Average - a good book with a good story. Well written and enjoyable to read. Recommended to readers of the genre. (on Amazon = it's ok)

4 stars

= Very good - An extremely enjoyable read, well written and with an engaging story-line. Nothing off putting and highly recommended. (on Amazon = I like it)

5 stars

= Excellent - a book so well written that it compels you to just keep on reading. The story-line loses you completely into another world. Nothing else matters but reading the book. The highest recommendation a book can get. (on Amazon = I love it) 

I may also go back and re-grade some of the books I have previously reviewed to bring them in to line with these criterion, over a period of time of course.

You might be interested...

Buy me a coffee