Pages

The Illustrated Child by Polly Crosby

 


I'll be honest, this book wasn't for me. I found that it dragged in places and towards the end it felt rushed and a bit sparse. The story focuses on one child called Romiley Kemp whose father creates a series of books as a kind of treasure hunt especially for her. It is published and it seems the whole world wants to be in on the hunt.

Romiley meanwhile is a lonesome child with one friend and a cat to keep her company, besides her father. Her mother is elsewhere, having left when Romiley was four years old.

Now she lives in an old house with a moat around it, in the middle of the countryside. She has some rare adventures, some probably are imaginary, some are real. I won't give the ending away by describing any more.

I have given this book a three, but for those whom this book strikes a chord it would probably be a four or maybe even a five.
"Romilly Kemp in the book stayed young and innocent, a sickly-sweet imposter who wore my dress and suckled at my father’s love, leeching it away until there was barely any left for me at all."
I received an e-ARC of this novel through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. NetGalley does not allow for paid reviews.
       
3/5 Stars (What this means...five-stars-applied-carefully)

Get your copy:


Official description: 
'Evocative and enchanting – a future classic and a star in the making' Veronica HenryRomilly lives in a ramshackle house with her eccentric artist father and her cat, Monty. She knows little about her past – but she knows that she is loved. When her father finds fame with a series of children’s books starring her as the main character, everything changes: exotic foods appear on the table, her father appears on TV, and strangers appear at their door, convinced the books contain clues leading to a precious prize.

But as time passes, Romilly’s father becomes increasingly suspicious of the outside world until, before her eyes, he begins to disappear altogether. With no-one else to help, Romilly turns to the secrets her father has hidden in his illustrated books – realising that his treasure hunt doesn’t lead to gold, but to something far more precious… 

The truth. 

Read it on a Kindle: 
 

Save on your mobile: 
I'm on giffgaff and want to share the love. Order a SIM and you'll get £5 extra credit when you activate with £10 or more.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/julieshort?ggSMS=app 

I buy my glasses online now, I was dubious at first. Now I'll keep on buying them from Glasses Direct, it you do too, you can get a discount off your first order over £49:  
 
Get £20 off on accessories when you buy a OnePlus smartphone on oneplus.net: 
 

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/invite#5SUGBN733ZPFCXY 
 
Get 0.5GB extra storage space when you sign up to One Drive via this link: 

https://onedrive.live.com?invref=9e1dff9dd20d43ff&invscr=90

You might be interested...

Buy me a coffee